[meteorite-list] Re: Petrologic types and point values

From: Jeff Grossman <jgrossman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:23:48 2004

No, it's simple. The decimals divide petrologic type 3 into ten finer
divisions. They are meant to convey a sense of relative metamorphic grade,
just as the original 3-4-5-6 numbers did. The reason this was done for
type 3 and not for 4-5-6 is that the differences between a low-type-3 (now
3.0) and a high-type-3 (now 3.9) are as important as the differences
between a type 4 and a type 6. So it was decided that subdivision was
needed to make these distinctions (I was a coauthor on that original Nature
paper proposing this scheme back in 1980). You are correct that the scale
should not be thought of as linear.

jeff