[meteorite-list] Re: Get together in Algonquin, Il

From: Sharkkb8_at_aol.com <Sharkkb8_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:23:48 2004

--part1_175.17621d51.2ba236f2_boundary

Mr. Elliott writes:

> Our thanks to Gregory for the marvellous job he did running around filling
> up our wine glasses, serving the soup, and generally keeping each course
> arriving on time ;-)

My pleasure. I was also pleased to be of help as far as advising which fork
to use with the salad, and admonishing our out-of-town guests not to scratch
themselves with the shrimp fork or drink from the finger-bowl, that sort of
thing. (And in future try not to forget, Rob - here in the Colonies mashed
potatoes are really not considered "finger-food"). The downside was seeing
yet again just how poorly the British tip, but that's a story for another
day. ;-)

Joking aside, the banquet was great fun, the Planetary Studies Foundation
raised quite a bit of money, which among other things will be partially used
to fund future Antarctic trips for meteorite-collecting purposes. The
evening also featured a silent auction (and a separate live one) of some
intriguing astronaut memorabilia (an astronaut-signed Apollo "action figure"
brought over $700!) as well as the sale of some pretty Kilabo specimens that
Paul had acquired.

And the get-together the next night was a hoot, even if a little
lightly-attended. I think the Coleman's Bar and Grill people are still
trying to figure out the covert activities that were going on their bar until
"last call". Lots of talk of kilos and money and cost-per-gram. The owner
finally came over and introduced himself; I think he wanted to satisfy
himself that there was nothing "funny" going on, although with this rogue's
gallery of characters, he probably left more unconvinced of that than before.
  ;-)

Gregory

--part1_175.17621d51.2ba236f2_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=
=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0"> <BR>
Mr. Elliott writes:<BR>
<BR>
: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Our thanks to Gregory for the m=
arvellous job he did running around filling up our wine glasses, serving the=
 soup, and generally keeping each course arriving on time ;-</BLOCKQUOTE>)<B=

<BR>
My pleasure.&nbsp; I was also pleased to be of help as far as advising which=
 fork to use with the salad, and admonishing our out-of-town guests not to s=
cratch themselves with the shrimp fork or drink from the finger-bowl, that s=
ort of thing.&nbsp; (And in future try not to forget, Rob&nbsp; -&nbsp; here=
 in the Colonies mashed potatoes are really not considered "finger-food").&n=
bsp; The downside was seeing yet again just how poorly the British tip, but=20=
that's a story for another day.&nbsp;&nbsp; ;-)<BR>
<BR>
Joking aside, the banquet was great fun, the <B>Planetary Studies Foundation=
 </B>raised quite a bit of money, which among other things will be partially=
 used to fund future Antarctic trips for meteorite-collecting purposes.&nbsp=
;&nbsp; The evening also featured a silent auction (and a separate live one)=
 of some intriguing astronaut memorabilia (an astronaut-signed Apollo "actio=
n figure" brought over $700!) as well as the sale of some pretty Kilabo spec=
imens that Paul had acquired.&nbsp; <BR>
 <BR>
And the get-together the next night was a hoot, even if a little lightly-att=
ended.&nbsp;&nbsp; I think the Coleman's Bar and Grill people are still tryi=
ng to figure out the covert activities that were going on their bar until "l=
ast call".&nbsp; Lots of talk of kilos and money and cost-per-gram.&nbsp;&nb=
sp; The owner finally came over and introduced himself; I think he wanted to=
 satisfy himself that there was nothing "funny" going on, although with <U>t=
his</U> rogue's gallery of characters, he probably left more unconvinced of=20=
that than before.&nbsp;&nbsp; ;-)<BR>
<BR>
Gregory&nbsp; <BR>
</FONT></HTML>
--part1_175.17621d51.2ba236f2_boundary--