[meteorite-list] impactite vs. impact glass

From: Dennis Harries <dennis_harries_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:23:50 2004

<P>Hello Bob and all,</P>
<P>Probably this nomenclature is applicable to all kinds of impact related rocks, as are meteorites.</P>
<P>It seem to me that the term 'impact melt breccia' should be discarded, because it is usually NOT a brecciated impact melt rock set in a clastic or igneous matrix, but clasts of non melted rock set in a molten matrix. Usually the term accompaning 'breccia' refers to the nature of the clasts itselves, not to the nature of the matrix. So the&nbsp;more correct&nbsp;term for 'impact melt breccia' would be 'impact melt rock' or 'impact melt rock with lithic clasts'. Thatīs how I understood it.</P>
<P>In a singles impact event&nbsp;the melting and solidification of a rock can not predate the formation of a breccia of this material&nbsp;due to the same impact event. So truly (impact) brecciated impact melt rocks (=impact melt breccias) are extremly rare on earth, but elsewhere???? (an impact melt rock may be brecciated by another impact event, if it is monomict, it is an impact melt&nbsp;breccia, if it is polymict it is something else, maybe a lithic breccia or a regolith breccia...). Well, I hope I got it right, scientists seem to love that ;-)&nbsp;</P>
<P>Best wishes</P>
<P>Dennis Harries</P>
<P>*NO WAR*</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>&gt;http://www.bgs.ac.uk/SCMR/docs/paper_12/scmr_paper_12_5.pdf </P>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Hello Dave and Dennis and all,
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;This USGS paper raises more questions.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Under the term "Impact Melt Breccia" it recommends
<DIV></DIV>&gt;that it's use be "discarded"!
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;It doesn't suggest a replacement term. It's not
<DIV></DIV>&gt;obvious to me what the new term should be, so could
<DIV></DIV>&gt;someone tell me, what is the "preferred" term?
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Since the author is Stoffler, I'm assuming these terms
<DIV></DIV>&gt;are applicable for use in describing meteorites. But
<DIV></DIV>&gt;this may not be the case. I may be wrong in my
<DIV></DIV>&gt;assumption, and this list of terms may be only
<DIV></DIV>&gt;applicable for metamorphic processes involving Terran,
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Lunar, and Martian impact events and their resultant
<DIV></DIV>&gt;impactites.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Is there a separate list of "approved" terms for
<DIV></DIV>&gt;asteroidal impact events and meteorites?
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;More questions still,
<DIV></DIV>&gt;BOb V.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;