[meteorite-list] Attention Meteorite Hunters... Now read this!

From: Mark Fox <unclefireballmtf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:23:52 2004

March 28, 2003

Greetings Meteorite Enthusiasts!

The dream of the meteoritist has just happened. But,
now we must act quickly. Time is very precious. In
addition to gathering specimens from this massive
fall, gathering information from witnesses who have
handled the rocks shortly after falling may be just
as important. This fall could help give new insight
into the Hot & Cold Meteorite Controversy! An
overwhelming number of documented, short interviews
are all we need to possibly draw some strong
conclusions. This is our chance!

Interviews tape recorded would be best, but written
would be good too. Here is a sample list of
information a researcher would be interested in:

1. Full name of finder:

2. Home address:

3. E-mail address:

4. Place of find and/or place of handling or physical
examination:

5. Time interval between the disappearance of the
flash and discovery:

6. Size and dimensions of meteoritic stone(s):

7. Approximate temperature of meteorite specimen(s)
when first picked up (including interior
if possible):

8. Duration of first handling of the specimen(s):

9. Description of the area where the meteoritic stone
was found:

10. Comments (including anything unusual, especially
concerning the first encounter):

I jotted down the list rather fast so I may have
overlooked something. Nevertheless, I think I have
covered many valuable aspects of the fall that can be
used in connection with temperature.

I am so excited, but have no chance of getting down
there myself! The collection of all of this valuable
data depends on all of you meteorite enthusiasts in,
or clamoring to Chicago. It all sounds wonderful!

Long (and wide) strewn fields!

Mark Fox
Newaygo, MI USA