[meteorite-list] Park Forest meteorite debacle

From: Michael Farmer <farmerm_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:23:52 2004

------=_NextPart_000_001F_01C2F54E.584EF920

Hello everyone, a little news from the strewnfield. The news is not =
good. The people here all think that they are millionaires, they all =
want $10 to $20 gram now. The police chief tols Steve Witt to leave or =
be arrested as they think he robbed a meteorite finder by paying several =
dollars per gram! The news has stated that they are worth $500 per ounce =
~$15 gram. The Museum in Chicago has not helped, stating that dealers =
are here to rip the locals off and that they should "donate all the =
pieces" to the university/museum.=20
    I have been in 6 homes today that were penetrated by meteorites, =
serious damage to many of them. There are many pieces but as I said, =
people now want $100,000 for some stones and they are NOT JOKING.
I wish anyone who plans to come out good luck, I will hunt tomorrow and =
try to secure a stone or two, then go home and let people get to =
reality.=20
I do have 4 pieces totaling about one kilo, 3 pieces that hit a house =
and damaged the siding. The other piece is a half individual that =
impacted the median in a road, and has the nose imbedded with yellow =
street paint. I do not know if there will be any out for sale any time =
soon, the price is so high we are just walking away from many people.=20
A few got a few cheap specimens, but very few. If any will come for sale =
from me, it will likely be quite expensive. I do not know what the next =
few days hold, more pieces should be found though so maybe we will have =
more luck.=20
I will email more info later.=20
Mike Farmer

------=_NextPart_000_001F_01C2F54E.584EF920

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hello everyone, a little news from the =
strewnfield.=20
The news is not good. The people here all think that they are =
millionaires, they=20
all want $10 to $20 gram now. The police chief tols Steve Witt to leave =
or be=20
arrested as they think he robbed a meteorite finder by paying several =
dollars=20
per gram! The news has stated that they are worth $500 per ounce ~$15 =
gram. The=20
Museum in Chicago has not helped, stating that dealers are here to rip =
the=20
locals off and that they should "donate all the pieces" to the=20
university/museum. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I have been in 6 =
homes today=20
that were penetrated by meteorites, serious damage to many of them. =
There are=20
many pieces but as I said, people now want $100,000 for some stones and =
they are=20
NOT JOKING.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I wish anyone who plans to come out =
good luck, I=20
will hunt tomorrow and try to secure a stone or two, then go home and =
let people=20
get to reality. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I do have 4 pieces totaling about one =
kilo, 3=20
pieces that hit a house and damaged the siding. The other piece is a =
half=20
individual that impacted the median in a road, and has the nose imbedded =
with=20
yellow street paint. I do not know if there will be any out for sale any =
time=20
soon, the price is so high we are just walking away from many people.=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>A few got a few cheap specimens, but =
very few. If=20
any will come for sale from me, it will likely be quite expensive. I do =
not know=20
what the next few days hold, more pieces should be found though so maybe =
we will=20
have more luck. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I will email&nbsp; more info later. =
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Mike Farmer</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_001F_01C2F54E.584EF920--