[meteorite-list] Park Forest fall

From: S.Singletary <jumper_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:23:53 2004

At 11:31 PM 3/28/2003 -0700, Michael Farmer wrote:
>I am also saddened, the people here mostly still have their stones, they
>think they hit the lotto and made millions.

Well, in defense of the common man here, imagine yourself as someone who
knows squat about meteorites except for tidbits that cross the news every
now and then that tell of a SNC or Lunar selling for a crazy amount of
money. Then all of a sudden you have one fall in your yard, it's all over
TV, dealers are swooping in and setting up tables to buy it, Museums are
clamoring for it - what would you think? I would think I'd hit the jackpot
too.....

As a meteorite enthusiast, I think this would be the perfect time for some
meteorite education. Set up a lecture one night to tell people about the
different types of meteorites, maybe even have a few to show. Explain why
some are really valuable and some aren't quite so valuable. A meteorite
saavy public probably would have avoided much of this. After all, in
everything, ignorance is our worst enemy.

Steven

Steven Singletary
54-1224
Dept. Earth, Atmospheric and Planetary Sciences
M.I.T.
Cambridge, MA 02139
Tel - 617.253.6398
Fax - 617.253.7102