[meteorite-list] Stolen Meteorite: 6,000 kg Campo Del Cielo

From: almitt <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:36 2004

Hi Ron, Adam and all,

I took a look at the article and it looks to me as this thing only weighs 6 kilos. The
picture they have of it (if it isn't a representative sample that is smaller to show)
doesn't look to weigh as much as it is posted. I am familiar with the decimal point
being used for their commas, I have been down to South America before living there for
several months.

6,000 kilos times 2.2 pounds equal 13,200 pounds or over 6.5 tons. They wouldn't just
walk off this piece and heavy equipment would have to have been used. I am just a bit
skeptical. All my best!

--AL