[meteorite-list] Stolen Meteorite: 6,000 kg Campo Del Cielo

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:36 2004

> I took a look at the article and it looks to me as this thing only weighs 6 kilos.
>
> 6,000 kilos times 2.2 pounds equal 13,200 pounds or over 6.5 tons. They wouldn't just
> walk off this piece and heavy equipment would have to have been used. I am just a bit
> skeptical. All my best!

I've sent some followup inquires, and it looks like this meteorite is in
the neighborhood of several tons. I've received the following information below.

Ron Baalke

The weight of the meteorite was estimated, it never was moved from de
discover in 1996. It has 1.84 cm in length (more than 5,5 feets). The
estimated weigh is 6 to 8 tons, and some people said, according with the
size, it could reach the 10 tons. Was called "Taņigo II" or "Santiago del
Estero". Is the second mass in Campo del Cielo after de "Chaco" meteorite
(37.200 kg).
The authorities of our country offered a reward for any information on it.
This large meteorite is protected by laws.
If any person has information, please contact with:

Dr. Carlos Clauter
Judge of the cause
Las Heras 45
(3720) Charata, Chaco, Argentina
Telefax ++543731 420004

Diario Norte (newspaper)
Pellegrino 144
(3500) Resistencia, Chaco, Argentina
Tel ++543722 426047
prensanorte_at_diarionorte.com (Director)

Policia del Chaco
++543722 463103 (Jefatura)
++543722 434127 (Investigations)
policia.jefe_at_ecomchaco.com.ar
pchdcinf_at_infovia.com.ar
pol.judicial_at_ecomchaco.com.ar (Dept. Judicial)

Ministro de Gobierno
Sr. Roy Nikisch
roy.nikisch_at_ecomchaco.com.ar

Ministerio de Gobierno y Justicia