[meteorite-list] Thuathe sale-Best ever.

From: Steve Schoner <steve_schoner_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:39 2004

--- Marcia Swanson <MJSOfArc_at_webtv.net> wrote:
> Hello List,
> Would someone explain to me, why, if you find, buy,
> or sell meteorites,
> there is such antagonism about how much profit a
> person makes on the
> sale of a meteorite? Who sets the profit margin? Is
> it up to A
> individual or the individual, is there some type of
> unwritten protocol
> between collectors and sellers ? It's not a matter
> of "supply and
> demand", as in any other business? If a person wants
> to sell a
> meteorite, rather than keep it, for more than he
> bought it for,because
> the new buyer wants it, and is willing to pay the
> price, is that wrong?
> I'm serious. I don't undertand. This is a sincere
> Question. I am
> attacking no-one. Only trying to undersand "this"
> facet of meteorites.
> The Finders and Identifiers, the Buyers, Sellers,
> Collectors, Learners
> (me) and Archivists,and more, are all an integral
> part of the same
> Family, right? I would appreciate a civil answer
> please, to an honest
> question, hopefully without getting my head lobbed
> off. Regards, Marcie

Unfortunately,

You will find some of the most antagonistic posts from
highly motivated individuals that get very passionate
over the subject of meteorite pricing.

It is considerably worse than what goes on in the
gold, commodity pits.

At least with these people there is some "agreement"
among traders that there is a "range" of price (and
this is not to say "price fixing").

It is just what the dealers of commodities agree will
be the price of the items at hand at any given moment.

They don't "hack" at one another when the price goes
up or down. The agreement that they have is the
"range" of price at any given moment.

Not so with meteorites, or the dealers of such.
Pricing has always been a real point of contention
between us (leaving me out, of course, Haaa haaa ha.)

Steve Schoner
http://www.geocities.com/meteorite_identification

P.S.
I like Michael's reccommendation that the prices posts
be listed with "Pricing" or something so that we can
all hit the DELETE button rather than even waste the
time to open them.