[meteorite-list] OT: Earth and Moon Image

From: walter branch <branchw_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:43 2004

Hi Al,

Clementine (I would love to hear how that one was named)
was a lunar mapping (and eventually lunar crashing) mission, so
an image of the earth-moon system together would have been
somewhat difficult.

The mission you are referring to was Galileo, which took
an image of the earth-moon while it was using an Earth
flyby as a gravitational boost enrout to Jupiter.

Here is the image:
http://galileo.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/journey-cruise.html

This one from Mars is the first taken from a spacecraft in orbit
around another planet.

Best wishes,

-Walter

www.branchmeteorites.com