[meteorite-list] Is Shirokovsky a meteorite?

From: Sharkkb8_at_aol.com <Sharkkb8_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:46 2004

--part1_17c.1baa769f.2c07a835_boundary

> The seller is IMCA member #8645. In an earlier auction of this material
> he was informed that the jury was still out on this material. The
> description states that it IS a pallasite classified by the Vernadsky
> Institute of Moscow. At the same time he states it is being sold "as
> is".

A number of meteoritical scientists at the very top of the classification
food-chain have stated (unofficially, not yet published) that their analyses
establish that Shirokovsky is NOT a meteorite, and to my knowledge a number of
dealers have been making refunds. The Meteoritical Society has not issued a
final report to make it absolutely official and close the case, but it seems to be
only a question of time. This seller is going to have to refund this piece
anyway, so I would think that the IMCA would be well within its rights to
insist (or at least strongly advise) that the seller add a sentence or two to his
auction text (there's still plenty of time), essentially saying what I just
did. It technically is not deemed a meteorwrong but apparently it will be soon
enough, and surely the seller would want to see the big picture and be
forthright here, if for no other reason than to be able to maintain credibility in the
future.

       Gregory

--part1_17c.1baa769f.2c07a835_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=
=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0"> <BR>
<BR>
: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">The seller is IMCA member #8645=
.&nbsp; In an earlier auction of this material<BR>
he was informed that the jury was still out on this material.&nbsp; The<BR>
description states that it IS a pallasite classified by the Vernadsky<BR>
Institute of Moscow.&nbsp; At the same time he states it is being sold "as<B=

is".<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
A number of meteoritical scientists at the very top of the classification fo=
od-chain have stated (unofficially, not yet published) that their analyses e=
stablish that Shirokovsky is NOT a meteorite, and to my knowledge a number o=
f dealers have been making refunds.&nbsp; <B>The Meteoritical Society</B> ha=
s not issued a final report to make it absolutely official and close the cas=
e, but it seems to be only a question of time.&nbsp; This seller is going to=
 have to refund this piece anyway, so I would think that the <B>IMCA</B> wou=
ld be well within its rights to insist (or at least strongly advise) that th=
e seller add a sentence or two to his auction text (there's still plenty of=20=
time), essentially saying what I just did.&nbsp; It technically is not deeme=
d a meteorwrong but apparently it will be soon enough, and surely the seller=
 would want to see the big picture and be forthright here, if for no other r=
eason than to be able to maintain credibility in the future. <BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Gregory</FONT></HTML>

--part1_17c.1baa769f.2c07a835_boundary--