[meteorite-list] Crow eaters - Part 1

From: Steve Schoner <steve_schoner_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:46 2004

--- Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> FINALLY!!
> We have consensus on
> "what is iron shale and what is a meteorite".
>
> It's whatever Steve and Gregory deem it to be!
>
> And if our specimen should look like those on this
> web
> page:
>
> http://www.meteorlab.com/File2003-34/pg2.htm
>
> then, apparently, we have an iron shale.
>
> !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> Great! My mind is at ease, now. I can go to bed
> and
> sleep peacefully, knowing this problem is laid to
> rest.
>
> ;-)
> Bob V.
>
> (Part 2 will have to wait 'til tomorrow.)

Actually,

This is a meteorite, as Russ's analysis reveals--
albeit a very oxidized one at that. But this is not
just the common "iron shale" type. If just normal
iron meteorite shale, then it is quite worthless to
collectors. But this one has portions that have quite
a bit of metal, and what appear to be relic
Widmanstatten patterns.

(Like the Coldwater, Kansas iron which was completely
oxidized yet still displayed Widmanstatten patterns,
which would not place it in the category of mere "iron
shale"-- A highly layered form with no apparent
Widmanstattern pattern)

I am very intrigued by the numerous specks of metal
shown throughout some of Ray's material. This is
inconsistent with the "norm" for meteorite oxides that
I have seen from Canyon Diablo.

Further investigation is needed to resolve the
question as to the presence of silicates, for the cut
surfaces do look very much like the cut Winona
specimens that I saw at the Museum of Northern
Arizona.

If so, then this piece is not the normal iron
meteorite oxide found at Meteor Crater-- but something
much more valuable scientifically, and monetarily.

A specimen to tie in the Winona to Canyon Diablo ?
What a wonderful thing that would be...

A find that would inadvertently bolster one of my
project aims in the MCE aborted Meteor Crater project
that could have been.

Steve Schoner
http://www.geocities.com/meteorite_identification