[meteorite-list] Korra Korrabes

From: John Gwilliam <jkg_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:27:47 2004

There are a couple of things you might not know about Korra
Korrabes. First, there are two different grades of it that were
collected. The very weathered specimens are missing much of the iron due
to weathering. Fresher and better preserved specimens have less weathering
and fracturing and more intact metal.

Second, KK is one of those meteorites that loses much of it's detail when
highly polished and viewed with the naked eye. These specimens are best
viewed under well-light magnification. To make the details of the specimen
more visible to the naked eye, hand sand the specimen with silicon carbide
paper in 220 grit or coarser range.

Selma is another meteorite that exhibits this same characteristic. When
highly polished, it looks nearly black and featureless. But, when prepared
properly it shows a lot of chondrules.

Best,

John