[meteorite-list] "Odd ball" non-standard petrologic slides on eBay

From: Steve Schoner <steve_schoner_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:27:52 2004

I have been following the eBay auctions for meteorite
petrologic slides... and I am appalled.

What is happening there with these new guys?

Standard petrologic slides for any rock section is:

1 13/16" x 1 1/16" x .062"

I've see some 1" x 3" and then worse still, those that
are standard sized but with the specimen off to the
end to make room for the details of the find and of
the specimen. That much detail is not needed on the
slide. Just the Meteoritical society approved name is
enough.

And--

Standard petrologic slides should be the standard size
(1 13/16 x 1 1/16 x .062) with the specimen as close
to center as possible. This is to allow for centering
on certain crystals when the slide is on the stage for
rotation. To offset an inch or more may be too much.

Michael Blood, Jim Strope, Dean Bessey had it right--
every slide I have bought from them have been
fantasitic, and properly made.

But these new guys with their non-standard slides?

What kind of "standard" are they setting, and how good
is the preparation?

I have my doubts.

Steve Schoner
http://www.geocities.com/american_meteorite_survey