[meteorite-list] A Letter From Paulette Garza

From: Rob Wesel <nakhladog_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:27:52 2004

As written by Paulette Garza
Again, this is for personal archive use only, use of this transcript to
generate profit in any way is not authorized:

Robert,

I have always been interested in the sciences and curious about comets,
falling stars, etc. You don't know how surprised I was to discover our house
had been struck by a meteorite. What are the odds of that!

On March 26th shortly before midnight my son (Michael) and I were returning
from the airport when suddenly the sky lit up. Looking up I saw a large ball
of sparkly glowing light. Then just as suddenly the sky went dark with the
exception of the glowing ball. It too slowly faded followed by continuous
booming noise and streams of light flying through the sky. At first I
thought it was fireworks but soon determined that it wasn't. To say the
least this began to frighten me. Entering the house my husband said someone
threw a rock through the window. I went upstairs to see not only a hole
through the window but also through the roof and a big grey rock.

I called 911 and was informed that they were not sure what was happening but
that numerous reports were coming in. When the police and fire department
arrived we were told that the rock may be radioactive. We were also informed
that they were in contact with the FBI and NASA. The entire time I'm
wondering what happens if the rock is radioactive. Of course I had visions
of ET with the bubble around the house. You don't know how relieved I was to
find out it wasn't radioactive.

The following morning the media began showing up and to our amazement we
discovered the rock was a meteorite. That day there was a constant stream of
reporters and people who just wanted to see the bedroom. In the days and
months that followed we had numerous calls and visits from collectors,
museums, and meteorite enthusiasts.

I know this may sound strange but I'm glad the meteorite struck our house.
This experience allowed us to meet a lot of really nice people. I enjoyed
talking to everyone and I learned a lot about meteorites. I especially am
glad to have met Steve Witt, Rob Elliot, and Greg Hupe!

Also, we sold the meteorite and were able to make a few home improvements,
pay a few bills and help a few people. I will never forget this experience.

Paulette Garza

Rob Wesel