[meteorite-list] Seven New Galaxy Class Meteorites on eBay

From: Deborah Martin <dak_mar_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:27:52 2004

I have a suggestion regarding the spate of meteowrongs on eBay. I too
encountered problems with eBay when a non-meteoritic transaction went
awry. I did get my money back but lost on the exchange rate and my time
being wasted. Throughout it all, eBay was useless, comparing itself to a
newspaper where people publish classified ads. Clearly, eBay's main
concern is to deflect its responsibility unto someone else.

So, how about if the knowledgeable members of this list contact USA Today
and CNN and regale them with a list of these incidents including Sterling
Webb's excellent statistical analysis reprinted below ? Perhaps the
negative publicity would shame eBay into doing the right and even listening
to experts in various fields when a questionable object is put up for
auction (I'm certain the concept of the weteowrong is present in many other
types of products offered on eBay). Also, someone from the American
Justice Department might become aware of the situation and get the point
across to eBay that even if you claim loud and often that you have no
responsibility, that does not necessarily make it so.

My 0.02 CAD

Andre Bordeleau