[meteorite-list] Weight VS Size ?

From: Kalli on Earthlink <mama2net_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:27:54 2004

Tom, I did the same thing- I have a thirteen year old who weighs about 110
pounds, and a ten year old who weighs about seventy pounds, so I showed
them the picture, and they saw the tape measure pulled out to about
seventeen inches, and their eyes just bugged out when they realized that
meteorite was about the same weight as the two of them combined, and only
seventeen inches long.
I am curious how that compares in density to other meteorites, say the ones
you are collecting tiny pieces of. I looked for a weight comparison in
Rocks from Space, but didn't find one. Interesting if some of the pieces
people collect as micros, might actually be even MORE dense, but because the
pieces are tiny, the density is not immediately evident.