[meteorite-list] NP Article, 06-1977 Old Women Meteorite Disputed

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:19 2004

------=_NextPart_001_0004_01C38847.A4DDCA00

Title: Color Country Spectrum =20
City: Saint George, Utah =20
Date: Sunday, June 19, 1977
Page: 2

Meteorite sent to Smithsonian

RIVERSIDE, Calif. (UPI) - A three-ton meteorite, second largest ever foun=
d in the United States, plunked onto the desert from outer space "hundred=
s of years ago" and it may take another couple of years to determine who =
it belongs to.
The three miners who discovered it while searching for a gold mine says f=
inders keepers - to them its worth "a million dollars." But the Smithsoni=
an Institution also wants it, as does a scientist at UCLA.
Marines, using a heavy duty helicopter from Santa Ana MCAS, dragged the h=
uge nickel-iron object out of a rocky canyon in the Old Woman Mountains 1=
70 miles each of Los Angeles Friday.
The meteorite, four feet high, three feet wide and 2 1/2 feet thick, was =
placed on a flatbed truck and taken to the Bureau of Land Management offi=
ces in Riverside, where it will be displayed for two weeks. Then it goes =
to the Smithsonian in Washington, D.C., where scientists plan to slice it=
 open for study.
"A meteorite is like a book." said curtor Dr. Roy S. Clarke. "it has to b=
e opened before it can be understood."
David Friburg, Mike Jendruczak and Hack Harwood, all of Twentynine Palms,=
 found the meteorite in March, 1976, while looking for a legendary Spanis=
h Conquistador gold mine.
Jendruczak said he was drawn to the reddish-brown and black rock because =
it looked out of place among the tan and gray boulders littering the rugg=
ed shopes.
"I tapped it," he said, "and right away I knew what it was. I'd seen pict=
ures of meteorites in school and I've seen them in museums. So I was pret=
ty sure it was a meteorite."
Friburg said the three contemplated hiring a comercial helicopter to lift=
 it out themselves, making a documentary film of the process which they w=
ould sell. They sent chips to John T. Wasson, a UCLA chemist and meteorit=
e expert.
Wasson said the sample showed a rare type of meteorite. "Type IIB" If sub=
sequent tests prove this it would be the 15th such type found in the worl=
d.
Eventually, Clarke came out to examine the meteorite and claim it for the=
 Smithsonian under the 1906 Antiquities Act. He said he discussed a finde=
r's fee for the miners, which they refused.
The miners are claiming the rock is theirs under the 1872 Mining Act. The=
y say they could get a last 31 million by selling chips to scientists.

(Article includes photo of people standing around Old Women Meteorite).

Please visit, www.MeteoriteArticles.com, a free on-line archive of meteor=
 and meteorite articles.

------=_NextPart_001_0004_01C38847.A4DDCA00

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV><B><FONT size=3D=
2> <P>Title: Color Country Spectrum </P> <P>City: Saint George, Utah </P>=
 <P>Date: Sunday, June 19, 1977</P> <P>Page: 2</P></B> <P>&nbsp;</P> <P>M=
eteorite sent to Smithsonian</P> <P>&nbsp;</P> <P>RIVERSIDE, Calif. (UPI)=
 - A three-ton meteorite, second largest ever found in the United States,=
 plunked onto the desert from outer space "hundreds of years ago" and it =
may take another couple of years to determine who it belongs to.</P> <P>T=
he three miners who discovered it while searching for a gold mine says fi=
nders keepers - to them its worth "a million dollars." But the Smithsonia=
n Institution also wants it, as does a scientist at UCLA.</P> <P>Marines,=
 using a heavy duty helicopter from Santa Ana MCAS, dragged the huge nick=
el-iron object out of a rocky canyon in the Old Woman Mountains 170 miles=
 each of Los Angeles Friday.</P> <P>The meteorite, four feet high, three =
feet wide and 2 1/2 feet thick, was placed on a flatbed truck and taken t=
o the Bureau of Land Management offices in Riverside, where it will be di=
splayed for two weeks. Then it goes to the Smithsonian in Washington, D.C=
., where scientists plan to slice it open for study.</P> <P>"A meteorite =
is like a book." said curtor Dr. Roy S. Clarke. "it has to be opened befo=
re it can be understood."</P> <P>David Friburg, Mike Jendruczak and Hack =
Harwood, all of Twentynine Palms, found the meteorite in March, 1976, whi=
le looking for a legendary Spanish Conquistador gold mine.</P> <P>Jendruc=
zak said he was drawn to the reddish-brown and black rock because it look=
ed out of place among the tan and gray boulders littering the rugged shop=
es.</P> <P>"I tapped it," he said, "and right away I knew what it was. I'=
d seen pictures of meteorites in school and I've seen them in museums. So=
 I was pretty sure it was a meteorite."</P> <P>Friburg said the three con=
templated hiring a comercial helicopter to lift it out themselves, making=
 a documentary film of the process which they would sell. They sent chips=
 to John T. Wasson, a UCLA chemist and meteorite expert.</P> <P>Wasson sa=
id the sample showed a rare type of meteorite. "Type IIB" If subsequent t=
ests prove this it would be the 15th such type found in the world.</P> <P=
>Eventually, Clarke came out to examine the meteorite and claim it for th=
e Smithsonian under the 1906 Antiquities Act. He said he discussed a find=
er's fee for the miners, which they refused.</P> <P>The miners are claimi=
ng the rock is theirs under the 1872 Mining Act. They say they could get =
a last 31 million by selling chips to scientists.</P> <P>&nbsp;</P> <P>(A=
rticle includes photo of people standing around Old Women Meteorite).</P>=
</FONT><BR><BR>Please visit, www.MeteoriteArticles.com, a free on-line ar=
chive of meteor and meteorite articles.</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_001_0004_01C38847.A4DDCA00--