[meteorite-list] Wales images

From: GeoZay_at_aol.com <GeoZay_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:21 2004

--part1_40.351ff822.2cb0b6f1_boundary

In a message dated 10/4/2003 4:26:48 PM Pacific Standard Time,
ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_saic.com writes:

> >>You see, if it was a bolide, then the contrail that was generated
> will change morphologically on a fairly fast time scale due to
> the changing altitude. Given the similarity of the images, then,
> they would have to have been taken within seconds of each other --
> probably no more than 10 or 20 seconds, and more importantly they
> would have to have been taken less than a minute after the bolide
> entered. So you have two separate parties independently photographing
> a bolide contrail at nearly the same time within a minute of it
> happening, and yet neither party (at least conclusively, yet)
> witnessed the bolide itself? While this is remotely ~possible~,
> isn't it far more likely that two groups saw the same static
> contrail, and took images of it perhaps several minutes apart?<<

I haven't been following this thread too much until now. I read a couple
postings and from Roberts logic above and my own past meteor observing experience,
I have to think that what was photographed in Wales wasn't a meteor. Long
lasting persistent trains really twist up in a hurry. If neither of the
photographers captured the twisting train, then surely they would have noted the train
being all twisted up shortly afterwards. I haven't found any mentioning of the
train being twisted. The time that would have gone by after photographing,
would have been plenty of time for it to form this way...also I can't believe
that they wouldn't have looked back at it again after photographing it and
noticing the changing shape by then.
George Zay

--part1_40.351ff822.2cb0b6f1_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=
=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">In a message dated 10/4/2003 4:26:48 PM Pacific Standa=
rd Time, ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_saic.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">&gt;&gt;You see, if it was a bo=
lide, then the contrail that was generated<BR>
will change morphologically on a fairly fast time scale due to<BR>
the changing altitude.&nbsp; Given the similarity of the images, then,<BR>
they would have to have been taken within seconds of each other --<BR>
probably no more than 10 or 20 seconds, and more importantly they<BR>
would have to have been taken less than a minute after the bolide<BR>
entered.&nbsp; So you have two separate parties independently photographing<=

a bolide contrail at nearly the same time within a minute of it<BR>
happening, and yet neither party (at least conclusively, yet)<BR>
witnessed the bolide itself?&nbsp; While this is remotely ~possible~,<BR>
isn't it far more likely that two groups saw the same static<BR>
contrail, and took images of it perhaps several minutes apart?&lt;&lt;</BLOC=
KQUOTE></FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" S=
IZE=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0"><BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3D2=
 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">I haven't been following thi=
s thread too much until now. I read a couple postings and from Roberts logic=
 above and my own past meteor observing experience, I have to think that wha=
t was photographed in Wales wasn't a meteor. Long lasting persistent trains=20=
really twist up in a hurry. If neither of the photographers captured the twi=
sting train, then surely they would have noted the train being all twisted u=
p shortly afterwards. I haven't found any mentioning of the train being twis=
ted. The time that would have gone by after photographing, would have been p=
lenty of time for it to form this way...also I can't believe that they would=
n't have looked back at it again after photographing it and noticing the cha=
nging shape by then. <BR>
George Zay</FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff=
" SIZE=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0"><BR>
</FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3D2=
 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0"><BR>
<BR>
<BR>
</FONT></HTML>
--part1_40.351ff822.2cb0b6f1_boundary--