[meteorite-list] Germany Meteorite?

From: Alexander Seidel <ase_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:22 2004

Hi Walter and list,

no, this certainly belongs to the realm of myths and legends.

The largest stone meteorite ever recovered in Germany is Benthullen
(17.25 kg), and in terms of total mass recovered, the largest iron is
Steinbach with approximately 98 kg (not a single individual), followed
by the IIC-iron Unter-Maessing (80 kg). The largest witnessed fall of
an iron meteorite is that of the IIIB-AN-iron Treysa (63 kg), which
happened in 1916. Doubtful records or pseudometeorites are excluded
here, of course.

All of these donīt meet the criteria cited below.

Alex
Berlin, Germany