[meteorite-list] Germany Meteorite?

From: bernd.pauli_at_paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:22 2004

> I could swear that in 1996-7-8 I heard that a meteorite hit
> somewhere in Germany and that it measured 6 or 16 or
> 60 feet in diameter. Can you confirm this? Why didn't it
> get more pub?

Hello Walter and List,

There was an "unidentified flying object" in the early morning
hours of Sept. 23, 1986. It was also sighted over Paris and
in parts of Belgium. If it really was a cosmic intruder, it had a
diameter of approximately 1 meter (ca. 3 feet), weighed about
1.5 tons.

Then we had the so-called "Arheilgen incident" back in February
of 1986 when an unidentified object hit a pond behind a house
in Arheilgen near Darmstadt leaving leaving a hole approx. 80 cm
in diameter in the middle of the pond and several smaller pits around
this central hole. Nothing was found however nor could the Frankfurt
airport authorities confirm the rumor that one of their passenger planes
may have lost or dropped something.

Then we have the Salzwedel (LL6) chondrite which fell in 1985 - only
a single mass weighing 43 g was found in a wood after a fireball had
been seen and the Trebbin (LL6) meteorite fall in 1988 when a mass
weighing 1250g was recovered from a garden.

Best Sunday
regards,

Bernd

To: branchw_at_bellsouth.net