[meteorite-list] Info on the 9/27 fall in India

From: Matson, Robert <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:22 2004

Hi All,

There was an important message about the September 27th Indian fall
that was reported to Meteorobs by Andrei Ol'khovatov last Friday
that I haven't seen reported here, so I thought I'd forward it.
Note the bit about investigating reports of fires caused by
the meteorite. --Rob

- - - - -
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/meteorobs/message/25858

Dear All,

Here are some updates on the Indian fall on September 27:
http://www.pragativadi.com/031003/local2.htm

Also an experienced meteorite expert from India informed me that it is
a veined chondrite. They have to do more work to find out if it is
H or L group. His first impression is that it is petrographgic grade 5.
It has metal filled veins. The total mass collected in 5 fragments is
about 8 kg or somewhat more. The expert tried to verify at least one
case of the fire. It could not be authenticated. His colleagues will
follow the other cases in the Mayurbhanj. The trajectory was almost
North to South, may be slightly NE to SW.

Best wishes,
Andrei Ol'khovatov