[meteorite-list] glorieta

From: Steve Schoner <steve_schoner_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:23 2004

--0-430726625-1065578552=:27262

Glorieta must have fallen rather recently as many of them have nice fusion crusts.

Nininger did a paper on a small pallasite that was found at Nambe Pueblo in the 1930's. I believe that it was called Pojoaque a 40 gram pallasite.

It was found in a medicine pouch in a ancient Indian pot that was set on in a protected ledge at the pueblo site. The specimen was in perfect condition, as if it fell yesterday, and it was thought that it was a witnessed fall. Subsequent tests indicated that it was actually Glorieta. The age of the artifacts that it was found with dated at 1250 AD.

The fact that Pojoaque was in such fantastic condition was attributed to the possibility that it was seen to fall.

Then, in the 1880's, prospectors found the three largest Glorieta masses on a rise or outcrop of stone. Dr. Kunz investigated the site in 1885 and was perplexed by the fact that the three masses with weights between 45 to 153 lbs, fit together yet there was no evidence that the outcrop had any impact areas. Kunz reasoned that if these masses had broken on impact that such evidence would be apparent on the rock outcrop. But there was no such damage.

He investigated the find site more, and found three complete individuals with weights between .5 and 3.5 lbs. They were completely crusted and found in rock crevices close to where the three main masses were found.

He speculated that the masses may have been transported to the find site. But he did not speculate by whom.

Dr. Don Blakeslee at Kansas State University in Wichita, has investigated ancient Indian trails and correlated these with the major finds made by Nininger. He noticed that all the meteorites that were found on rises correlated with ancient Indian trails. When I visited with him a number of years ago he showed me the data with a map and an overlay of the trails. The coincidence of trails lining up with Nininger's finds was striking.

The Indians did this because these meteorites fell from the sky and it was their way of giving them a place of honor in their religious systems.

I suspect that they witnessed Glorieta and put them on that rise to honor the objects that in or around 1250 AD fell from the sky.

Steve Schoner
http://www.geocities.com/american_meteorite_survey

harlan trammell <skyrox_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

---------------------------------

when did glorieta fall? some of it looks like sikhote w/ olivnene.

---------------------------------
High-speed Internet access as low as $29.95/month*. Click here.

--0-430726625-1065578552=:27262

<DIV>
<DIV>Glorieta must have fallen rather recently as many of them have nice fusion crusts.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Nininger did a paper on a small pallasite that was found at Nambe Pueblo in the 1930's.&nbsp; I believe that it was called Pojoaque a 40 gram pallasite.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>It was found in a medicine pouch in a ancient Indian pot that was set on in a protected ledge at the pueblo site.&nbsp; The specimen was in perfect condition, as if it fell yesterday, and it was thought that it was a witnessed fall.&nbsp; Subsequent tests indicated that it was actually Glorieta.&nbsp; The age of the artifacts that it was found with dated at 1250 AD.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>The fact that Pojoaque was in such fantastic condition was attributed to the possibility that it was seen to fall.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Then, in the 1880's, prospectors found the three largest Glorieta masses on a rise or outcrop of stone.&nbsp; Dr. Kunz investigated the site in 1885 and was perplexed by the fact that the three masses with weights between 45 to 153 lbs, fit together yet there was no evidence that the outcrop had any impact areas.&nbsp; Kunz reasoned that if these masses had broken on impact that such evidence would be apparent on the rock outcrop.&nbsp; But there was no such damage.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>He investigated the find site more, and found three complete individuals with weights between .5 and 3.5 lbs.&nbsp; They were completely crusted and found in rock crevices close to where the three main masses were found.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>He speculated that the masses may have been transported to the find site.&nbsp; But he did not speculate by whom.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Dr. Don Blakeslee at Kansas State University in Wichita, has investigated ancient Indian trails and correlated these with the major finds made by Nininger.&nbsp; He noticed that all the meteorites that were found on rises correlated with ancient Indian trails.&nbsp; When I visited with him a number of years ago he showed me the data with a map and an overlay of the trails.&nbsp; The coincidence of trails lining up with Nininger's finds was striking.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>The Indians did this because these meteorites fell from the sky and it was their way of giving them a place of honor in their religious systems.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I suspect that they witnessed Glorieta and put them on that rise to honor the objects that in or around 1250 AD fell from the sky.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Steve Schoner</DIV>
<DIV><A href="http://www.geocities.com/american_meteorite_survey">http://www.geocities.com/american_meteorite_survey</A></DIV>
<DIV><BR><BR><B><I>harlan trammell &lt;skyrox_at_hotmail.com&gt;</I></B> wrote:</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">
<DIV>
<DIV>
<HR>
</DIV>when did glorieta fall? some of it looks like sikhote&nbsp; w/ olivnene.</DIV><BR clear=all>
<HR>
<A href="http://g.msn.com/8HMBENUS/2728??PS=">High-speed Internet access as low as $29.95/month*. Click here.<BR></A>*Depending on the local service providers in your area. ______________________________________________ Meteorite-list mailing list Meteorite-list_at_meteoritecentral.com http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/meteorite-list</BLOCKQUOTE></DIV><p><hr SIZE=1>
Do you Yahoo!?<br>
--0-430726625-1065578552=:27262--