[meteorite-list] India report #2.

From: John Gwilliam <jkg_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:25 2004

At 01:39 PM 10/10/03 -0700, M come Meteorite Meteorites wrote:

>--- John Gwilliam <jkg_at_theriver.com> wrote:
> >
> > Matteo,
> > I know there are several List members who have had
> > to deal with your
> > unorthodox and questionable business ethics,
> > including myself. Most have
> > kept quiet because they know it's good form to keep
> > one's mouth shut most
> > of the time. However, when you provoke responses
> > from the likes of good
> > characters like Dave Freeman and Dave Andrews,
> > you're starting to step on
> > more than just people's toes.
> >
> > Brothers Andrews and Freeman have expressed their
> > opinions concerning you
> > incessant whining and complaining, and there will be
> > more to follow if you
> > continue your banal rhetoric. You certainly don't
> > want more testimonials to
> > make their way to this List, do you?
> >
> > Your silence would be greatly appreciated,
>
>Ah yes. ... who have been these persons, I am actual
>curious to know, but I see that here it is threatened
>but not speaks. Pertain the meteorites, big little,
>gained from you always I paid immediately, see also on
>ebay, while with a certain meteorite you pretended of
>not understand that I wanted to buy it when had given
>it ok that was on hold for me, and after few minutes
>had been sold. I repeat, to all the persons that I
>have sold meteorites any of this has complained,
>therefore I do not know where you dream you these
>persons that did not do questionable business with me,
>while to the opposite one I should say it with who did
>questionable business, and it seems to have me also
>written. Pertain my silence, if I want I am quiet,
>not you of secure you make myself be quiet.
>
>Matteo
Matteo,

Since you decided to respond to my last post via the List, I'll elaborate
on a few things.

First of all, any of the folks that I referred to having personal knowledge
of your "unorthodox and questionable business ethics" can speak for
themselves if they so choose. Since my communications with them was
private, I'll not post any of our conversations without their permission or
approval.
Before you began using Paypal, you won one of my meteorites on Ebay. You
emailed me and said you'd be sending me cash in the mail. When you letter
arrived, it contained several U.S. twenty dollar bills. The problem was
that your payment was short twenty dollars. When I contacted you by email
and told you about the shortage, your first claimed I was trying to cheat
you. My reply to you was simple - your payment was short twenty dollars
and the meteorite wouldn't be sent to you until the problem was
corrected. Your next email blamed the problem on the corrupt Italian mail
system. I actually got quite a laugh out of the idea that a crooked
Italian postal clerk would steal just one twenty dollar bill out of
six. To be fair, I will say that you did send the missing twenty dollars
and your meteorite was sent to you.

During a conversation with another dealer, I mentioned the "missing" twenty
dollars. He commented that this was a standard practice with
you. Checking with a few more folks in the meteorite community, I got
similar responses.

The other incident you refer to in you post is incorrect. It did not
involve a meteorite on Ebay, but was the most recent sale I posted to the
List. The sale, as always, said "first come, first served" or something
similar to those words. Nowhere did I mention that I would accept
trades. I received an email from you requesting me to put a specimen on
hold for you and would I be interested in doing a trade. I replied "no"
and you next email to me asked If I would accept delayed payment from you -
somewhere in the time frame of two weeks to a month, I don't remember
exactly. During the time between your emails, someone else contacted me
and said they wanted the specimen and would send payment as soon as I sent
them a total. The way I see it, Matteo, you missed out on getting the
specimen in question because you were too busy trying to negotiate a trade
(which I didn't want) and/or a delay of payment(which I didn't agree
to). During the rest of the day, I received SIX emails from you where you
ranted and raved about injustice...blah, blah, blah.

Same old, same old.

Now if anyone else chooses to share with the List any of their experiences
with you, that's their business. I'd think most of them would want to
avoid your tirades of verbal diarrhea so they'll probably shy away. Like
David Weir, you emails have been filtered out of my system for a long time
now, but you still make you way onto my screen because your emails are
piggybacked on the messages of other List members.

Regards and Regrets to the List,

John Gwilliam