[meteorite-list] NP Article, 03-1949 Sikhote Meteorite Article

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:26 2004

------=_NextPart_001_0036_01C390CD.BB93B1E0

(Sorry if your part of my e-mail list and get this twice, didn't mean to =
send it there)
Paper: Lethbridge Herald =20
City: Lethbridge, Alberta =20
Date: Thursday, March 10, 1949
Page: 16

SIBERIAN METEORITE
(From the Manchester Guardian.)

The arrival on earth of a giant meteorite is a rare occurrence. When it h=
appens we may be reasonably content if it is at the other end of the worl=
d rather than in own neighborhood. There seems no reason in the nature of=
 things why the thousand-tonner which struck a remote spot in Eastern Sib=
eria on February 12, 1947, should now have landed in Lancashire.
We should not then have had to wait to find its arrival recorded in "Natu=
re" nearly two years later, but, on balance, we need not grumble at that.=
 we are more inclined, if it is not too late, to congratulate the distant=
 inhabitants of the Amoor River valley that the strange monster found its=
 target in the neighboring mountain range and apparently caused little hu=
man loss. It came in daylight and almost outshone the sun for a few secon=
ds for which it was seen from every town and village within 125 miles.
The noise of the explosions which accompanied it and of the final crash w=
ere carried nearly as far and meteoric fragments were scattered over a ra=
dius of seven or eight miles. there seems to have been no central crater =
of the Arizona type, the whole meteorite breaking up into thousands of fr=
agments, but more than a hundred funnels were found in the rocks, some of=
 them six yards deep and three times as wide, and there was considerable =
destruction of trees.
Though rather fanicfully described by one of the Russian scientists as a =
"minor planet," this was certainly an outsize in land-falling meteorites,=
 and geo-physicists the world over will take all the interest in it that =
they are allowed.
A large part of the affected region has been closed and placed at disposa=
l of he Academy of Sciences if the U.S.S.R., which has already sent two e=
xpeditions to the site. But so long as the present theory of Russian scie=
nce for the Russians prevails, international scientists are likely to fin=
d Eastern Siberia even more remote than it has usually been.

Please visit, www.MeteoriteArticles.com, a free on-line archive of meteor=
 and meteorite articles.

Please visit, www.MeteoriteArticles.com, a free on-line archive of meteor=
 and meteorite articles.

------=_NextPart_001_0036_01C390CD.BB93B1E0

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV> <DIV><B><FONT=
 size=3D2> <P>(Sorry if your part of my e-mail list and get this twice, d=
idn't mean to send it there)</P> <P>Paper: Lethbridge Herald </P> <P>City=
: Lethbridge, Alberta </P> <P>Date: Thursday, March 10, 1949</P> <P>Page:=
 16</P></B> <P>&nbsp;</P> <P>SIBERIAN METEORITE</P> <P>(From the Manchest=
er Guardian.)</P> <P>&nbsp;</P> <P>The arrival on earth of a giant meteor=
ite is a rare occurrence. When it happens we may be reasonably content if=
 it is at the other end of the world rather than in own neighborhood. The=
re seems no reason in the nature of things why the thousand-tonner which =
struck a remote spot in Eastern Siberia on February 12, 1947, should now =
have landed in Lancashire.</P> <P>We should not then have had to wait to =
find its arrival recorded in "Nature" nearly two years later, but, on bal=
ance, we need not grumble at that. we are more inclined, if it is not too=
 late, to congratulate the distant inhabitants of the Amoor River valley =
that the strange monster found its target in the neighboring mountain ran=
ge and apparently caused little human loss. It came in daylight and almos=
t outshone the sun for a few seconds for which it was seen from every tow=
n and village within 125 miles.</P> <P>The noise of the explosions which =
accompanied it and of the final crash were carried nearly as far and mete=
oric fragments were scattered over a radius of seven or eight miles. ther=
e seems to have been no central crater of the Arizona type, the whole met=
eorite breaking up into thousands of fragments, but more than a hundred f=
unnels were found in the rocks, some of them six yards deep and three tim=
es as wide, and there was considerable destruction of trees.</P> <P>Thoug=
h rather fanicfully described by one of the Russian scientists as a "mino=
r planet," this was certainly an outsize in land-falling meteorites, and =
geo-physicists the world over will take all the interest in it that they =
are allowed.</P> <P>A large part of the affected region has been closed a=
nd placed at disposal of he Academy of Sciences if the U.S.S.R., which ha=
s already sent two expeditions to the site. But so long as the present th=
eory of Russian science for the Russians prevails, international scientis=
ts are likely to find Eastern Siberia even more remote than it has usuall=
y been.</P></FONT><BR><BR><FONT size=3D3>Please visit, www.MeteoriteArtic=
les.com, a free on-line archive of meteor and meteorite articles.</FONT><=
/DIV><BR><BR>Please visit, www.MeteoriteArticles.com, a free on-line arch=
ive of meteor and meteorite articles.</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_001_0036_01C390CD.BB93B1E0--