[meteorite-list] Hunting meteorites out in India.

From: Pekka Savolainen <pekka.savolainen_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:27 2004

--------------040303000707010501010701

Hello, Howard and the list,

this method has been used also in the recovering meteorites. My friend
tried to find several years ago some Marjalahti-fragments with an electric
magnet from the bay beside the fall-point.

Anyway, the area was used as a military-base, and when he got some ammo
and gas-tanks in his magnet, he gladly gave up the operation. But if you
know
the area and what you are looking for, why not.

In the flood areas there may be quite a lot of other things to find, so
instead of
a meteorite you may have in your magnet all other interresting things...;-

Also one way could be to use magnetometers (used by geophysicans), these
should react at least if there are bigger irons on the area. The problem
with
these is the same with the magnet, they reatcs in all metal-rubbish on
the bottom.

take care,

pekka s

--
Pekka Savolainen
Jokiharjuntie 4
FIN-71330 Rasala
FINLAND
+ 358 400 818 912
Group Home Page: http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/eurocoin
Group Email Address: eurocoin_at_smartgroups.com
--------------040303000707010501010701
<head>
</head>
Hello, Howard and the list,<br>
this method has been used also in the recovering meteorites. My friend<br>
tried to find several years ago &nbsp;some Marjalahti-fragments with an electric<br>
magnet from the bay beside the fall-point.<br>
Anyway, the area was used as a military-base, and when he got some ammo<br>
and gas-tanks in his magnet, he gladly gave up the operation. But if you
know<br>
the area and what you are looking for, why not. <br>
In the flood areas there may be quite a lot of other things to find, so instead
of<br>
a meteorite you may have in your magnet all other interresting things...;-<br>
Also one way could be to use magnetometers (used by geophysicans), these<br>
should react at least if there are bigger irons on the area. The problem
with <br>
these is the same with the magnet, they reatcs in all metal-rubbish on the
bottom.<br>
take care,<br>
pekka s<br>
Howard Wu wrote:<br>
lakes for dropped motors. Might something like this be used to search for
meteorites in a flood plain? </div>
I believe he supports a Rabbies project giving back to the community&nbsp;who
help him get started.</div>
  <hr size="1"><font face="Arial" size="2">Want to chat instantly with your
online friends?&nbsp;<a href="http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/mail/tagline_messenger/*http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com/"><b>
Get the FREE Yahoo! Messenger</b></a>
  <pre class="moz-signature" cols="$mailwrapcol">--
Pekka Savolainen
Jokiharjuntie 4
FIN-71330 Rasala
FINLAND