[meteorite-list] NEW Eucrite, absolutely the strangest ever seen!]

From: j.divelbiss_at_att.net <j.divelbiss_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:32 2004

Hello all,

This post is meant for fellow neophyte geologists like myself (ie. novice).

The term gabbroic has to do with a suite of rocks that happens to include
gabbro in its' grouping. A grouping/layering of rocks with similar minerals
that reacted out of the magam, generally in the Bowen Series pattern...with
many variations...too, too many to list. Other names come from these deeply
formed rocks including pyroxenite, peridotite(deeper) and dunite(deepest). As
others have said they are plutontic (intrusive) rock...which makes them deep
formers, and not volcanic (extrusive) which are formed on/near the surface.
The close cousins from the volcanic rocks are the different basalts.

Below is a site that generalizes the forming of different igneous rocks.

 http://www.tulane.edu/~sanelson/geol111/igneous.htm

I have an extensive collection of diorite and gabbroic rocks from PA that
have many looks to it. The olivine gabbro that some of you have from me has a
close resemblance (appearance) to some of the shergottite specimens out
there. From a rock collector's standpoint...gabbro and gabbroic rocks are
very cool (slowly for that matter).

John