[meteorite-list] "Earthite"

From: Zelimir Gabelica <Z.Gabelica_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:35 2004

Mark,

If your "earthite meteorite" would look like "a tektite or silica glass"
then the tektites ARE "Earthites" !?

Shows my ignorance (although I well know the different theories about the
origin of tektites) but glad if my kidding provokes some debate among=
 experts.
That is way is this list for. In other words, a stupid (or provocative)
proposal is sometimes needed to get a keen answer.

Cheers,

Zelimir

At 09:01 24/10/03 +0100, you wrote:

>More to the point where are all the earth meteorites? We should be able
>to recognize them, (one would hope!), I guess as most of the earths
>immediate surface is soil, or sedimentary rock(s), an earthite meteorite
>would be pretty strange do date no true 'sedimentary' meteorites have
>been found?, I guess it would probably look like a tektite I.e silica
>glass... or would they be just be highly shocked ordinary terrestrial
>rocks but with a fusion crust?
>

>Mark Ford

Prof. Zelimir Gabelica
Groupe S=E9curit=E9 et Ecologie Chimiques (GSEC) - ENSCMu
3, rue A. Werner
F-68093 MULHOUSE Cedex, FRANCE
Tel: +33 (0)3 89 33 68 94
FAX: +33 (0)3 89 33 68 15