[meteorite-list] Awesome Meteorites at the Field Museum

From: Roman Nakonechny <uraninut239__at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:36 2004

Hi Bob,
       Nice photo's, well done. Say, have you any idea as to the
classification of
       Park Forrest. There was a fellow about 2wks. back selling his
fragments
       for $40.00gram. Is that the going price for it? If so, why? Has this
meteorite been tested by an accredited meteoritical lab, with results back
yet.
He never got back to me. I just told him that every other meteorite he had
for sale had a description (e.g.) carbonaceous chondrite, hexahedrite, SNC,
coarse octahedrite, howardite, diogenite you get the picture, but absolutely
no description for Park Forest. I asked him politely, why are you charging
that much for an unclassified basically unknown type meteorite. Then I told
him - and maybe this peed him off- that I would'nt pay my own mother
$40.00gram for a meteorite that was not checked out or classified and
certified by a meteoritical lab. I dont want to hear from Mr. Meteorite
Chaser/Hunter that he thinks it's a this and it looks like it resembles a
that and sure as hell has the feel of a this and that AND SMELLS LIKE AN IT,
  if I'm going to fork over $40.00gram. Put even more simply, do you or
anybody else know the composition/classification of this meteorite- done by
a reputable meteoritical lab, and not by personnal, untrained obsevation.
My mail piles up and I can't get to it all, maybe I missed the great moment
when P.F. was classified/certified? Any answers will be appreciated.
Thanks Bob. Good Night.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~* Roman N. (IMCA # 0583)