[meteorite-list] EBay analysis , robots & spiders, OH MY!

From: Michael L Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:36 2004

Dear Paul,
        Man, that was a mouthfull!
        Thanks for the legal perspective.
        I had no idea Jamie used "robots" or "spiders!" (whatever THEY are,
they sound pretty scary to me)
        Guess if he did, 2 + 2 sometimes does = 3!... At least legally.
        Daw gone, what in the plu-perfect hell is this world comin' to?
        I stand corrected - Michael

on 10/29/03 9:06 AM, LITIG8NSHARK_at_aol.com at LITIG8NSHARK@aol.com wrote:

> Good day Folks,
>
> I have been following the thread about the compilation of statistical
> information regarding the sales/purchases of meteorites on eBay. Personally,
> I found
> the compilation both interesting and informative and I have no objection to
> having been included in the published compilation.
>
> That having being said, I'd like to preface the following by stating that
> while I am by no means an expert in "cyber law", I am an attorney. I must
> admit
> that when "robots" were mentioned in a recent post to the list I had to do
> some research to try and figure out exactly what a robot was and what it did.
> don't claim to be a computer programer/analyst either. Now that I have a
> rough idea what a "robot" is and what it does I'd like to share some of my
> thoughts regarding the compilation of statistical information from eBay.
>
> I accessed eBay's policy regarding the use of robots on it's site. I agree
> with one writer's proposition that one of the reasons eBay prohibits robots
> from accessing its site, in some circumstances, is to prevent a drain on its
> server. However, I can't entirely agree that that is eBay's primary goal. In
> October 1997, eBay was involved in a serious dispute with Onsale, a
> competitor,
> over Onsale's use of a robot program to harvest the email addresses of eBay
> users. (Note that in 1997 eBay made it much easier than it is today to access
> the
> email addresses of members.) I suspect that it was subsequent to this
> dispute that eBay placed in its User Policy the prohibition against use of
> robots,
> spiders etc. It would appear that eBay is also interested in protecting
> itself
> from what it views as unfair competition.
>
> As can seen below in a paste of the pertinent part of eBay's user policy
> regarding Access and Interference, the use of robots is clearly prohibited
> absent
> express written permission from eBay. The policy language goes further in
> requiring that, even with eBay's express written permission to use a robot for
> the creation of a derivative work (compilation of statistical information) on
> any other member other than yourself, you are obligated to obtain the express
> written permission of the "third party," which I interpret to mean the party
> who's information you are seeking to compile. This, I believe, is intended,
> at
> least in part, to provide for some level of privacy for eBay members.
>
> From a strict reading of eBay's policy language one could reasonably infer
> that it is not only the public dissemination of the compilation of statistical
> information that is being prohibited, absent the required express written
> permission of eBay and the third party affected, but also the private
> [...]

Hubble space telescope - AMAZING photos!:
http://wires.news.com.au/special/mm/030811-hubble.htm
--
Don't accept rides from strange men, and remember that all men are strange.
    Robin Morgan
--
http://www.costofwar.com/
--