[meteorite-list] EBay analysis (preliminary)

From: Jamie Stephens <j.stephens_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:28:37 2004

John Gwilliam wrote:

> I've been sitting back quietly watching this thread get over-baked over
> the past few days and finally decided I'd step in a make a comment.
>
> In his remarks, Jamie talks about his potential "right" to publish data
> that is extracted from publicly available documents. Personally, I
> believe that with this "right" comes a lot of responsibility.

I agree. Hence my

   1. Soliciation for feedback and
   2. My changes resulting from that feedback.

> For example, did you know that if you've ever been a party in a divorce,
> arrested and charged with a crime, or been to Tax Court, the written
> records of those proceedings are public information? That is, unless
> the judge in the case sealed the records, which is rarely done. That
> means that I, or someone else, could access all court records involving
> Meteorite List members throughout the United States and publish those
> findings. Now wouldn't that be lovely? We'd know who the drunk drivers
> and the wife beaters were and we could sit in our chairs and snicker
> about all the nasty accusations that are part of every divorce trial.
> No thanks, I don't need to see it...even if it is publicly available
> information.

I didn't think I was reporting on crimes.

> You see, there is no beneficial value in doing so.

Reporting on crimes? I dunno. Reporting aggregate data without
names? Many folks -- including dealers -- think there's value.

> Rather, it sounds like a good way to loose a bunch of friends to me.

At least I think I lost Mike Groetz as friend.

Other than that, I've had some great conversations (almost all off
list) on the topic.

> I don't see any real value to compiling information about Ebay sellers
> and purchasers either. Sure, you can figure out what's been selling
> well and what hasn't, and you can find out who has been spending the
> most money on meteorites lately...so what?

I think I agree with you here. The "Top N sellers" and "Top N buyers"
were just a curiosity for me. I don't think there was much news.
Anyway, actual names were of little benefit and clearly troublesome.
Hence my statements about changing my ways.

> Do you contact these buyers and offer to sell them more meteorites?

No. As I mentioned in the first line of the note that started this
thread, I haven't sold a single meteorite. Nor do I plan to.

> I'm pretty sure that would be a violation of Ebay rules.
>
> How many list members are forty-hour-a-week "Meteorite Market Analists"
> anyway?

Probably 0. I spent two hours on this project -- and about six hours
(and counting) with the subsequent email.

> Someone else mentioned something about "getting a life." I vote for that.

Thanks for the advice.

--Jamie