[meteorite-list] Ebay fakes

From: Michael L Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:29:49 2004

You all may know there was a REAL fake meteorite offered recently
on eBay - it was the same S-A with an OUTRAGEOUS hole that sold
a couple of weeks ago. I thought, my, that's about as nice as that
one I missed a couple of weeks ago.... and bid high enough to win
it. Fortunately, several people immediately contacted me before
I could get an address to PayPal payment on it - including the
actual owner of the piece that won it in the earlier auction. He
pointed out it was the SAME photos, even. And, so it was.
        Then, EVENTUALLY eBay contacted me and told me a seller
had had his identity stolen and I should not pay for this item (of
course, it was DAYS later!)
        So, I doubt this con artist can ever be caught. But this was out
and out fraud - not convenient ignorance, as some are.
        Michael

on 8/30/03 3:14 PM, Tom aka James Knudson at knudson911_at_frontiernet.net
wrote:

> Hello List, I do not know if everyone is aware of the fact that the IMCA has
> a polite letter they send to the meteorwrong sellers. You can just send Ken
> at magellon_at_earthlink.net the info and he will take care of the rest. We no
> longer have to send the sellers death threats and the like!
> I personally do not like these sellers selling fakes, because the first
> time buyer that just bought a fake for $30 could have bought a real one from
> a real dealer, they are cutting back on our sales! Then the first time buyer
> finds out 6 months latter that its a fake and never trusts ebay again,
> cutting into our sales even more. It just hurts us all the way around
> Thanks, Tom
> Peregrineflier <><
> The proudest member of the IMCA 6168

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
    Philip K. Dick
--
SUPPORT OUR TROUPS:
http://www.takebackthemedia.com/onearmy.html