[meteorite-list] Recent significant larger US finds - More!?

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:29:49 2004

Hello All,

And thanks, John, for mentioning my name in regards to
all of those small finds.
And, in turn, I would like to point out that there are
a number of other List members, as well, who are also
making a yearly contribution of small finds to the
Meteoritical Bulletin.

Because of problems with my PC, I wasn't able to join
in on this thread until just now. But I see that the
other List members have helped to hammer out a more
complete list. (Thanks Frank, for reminding everyone
about Bruceville - CA largest stone! ;-)

But if it is not too late, I'd like to add my two
cents and suggest that Paul & Nick Gessler's

Bluewing 005 - Nevada L5 5.7 kg Found 1999

<http://www.geocities.com/bolidechaser/nvpod-archive/03-08-11.htm>

be added to this list, as well. Speaking of "largest
stone", this was Nevada's largest chondrite, until I
found Mud Dry Lake (which has yet to appear in the
Met. Bull., but is pending approval, along with
Franconia, AZ)!

And in regards to the Chuckwalla iron, it really
wasn't "Recognized". Actually, it was more that I
"reminded" John Wasson that it hadn't gotten into the
Bulletin, yet. John was pretty sure that I had to be
mistaken, because he and Roy Clarke had already
published a paper describing "Chuckwalla Mountain"!
And, of course, everyone knows that you can't publish
a paper without the meteorite name being approved
first. But this turned out to be another case of one
guy thinking that the other guy had turned in the name
to the NomComm.

Speaking of Bruceville and Chuckwalla, they are both
on exhibit at the temporary Giffith Observatory
"Satellite" building, across from the LA Zoo parking
lot, next to the Autry Western Museum. In addition,
there are a couple of telescopes available for viewing
of Mars while it still in the "neighborhood". This
"Satellite" will be temporary until 2005 and the
re-opening of the totally refurbished Griffith
Obervatory.

So, if you're travelling through LA, add this tourist
spot to your "Sites to be Seen" list.

Regards,
Bob V.