[meteorite-list] RE: Spade Versus Estacado

From: John Gwilliam <jkg_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:29:50 2004

Hello List,

Matt makes a very good point here. Looking at a map of the meteorites
found in Texas, particularly the Lubbock Super Cluster, you don't need a
very active imagination to figure that there are probably lots of meteorite
pairings there. Most of those meteorites were classified several decades
ago when the process wasn't nearly as detailed as it is now. Figure in the
lack of a system of checks and balances and a detailed system of records
that we now have available on the Internet and you might find there are a
lot of Texas meteorites that really are paired. The shock differences
between Spade and Estacado might prove to be definitive enough to preclude
pair. Time will tell. Both of these "common chondrites" are actually quite
uncommon so I'm sure someone will do the necessary work to find out if
these two are unique or are really twins separated at birth.

110F in Phoenix today,

John