[meteorite-list] Oroville California, Iron.

From: william anderson <castlewh1_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:29:55 2004

Hi Mike and list. I lived in Oroville for 30 years.
>From the local historical archives, here are a few
extra notes on the Oroville iron. It was seen to fall
at the turn of the century, early 1900's. The impact
point was estimated to be up on Table Mountain, a
volcanic mesa that sits several miles out of town. The
hunt was on, but all that turned up was an unusual
looking impact crater, their thoughts. The actual
iron was found sitting on the surface at a place
called Spring Valley, which is several miles north of
Oroville, and a mile off the edge of the mesa. The
iron was taken to Oroville for examination. An assay
was done on the iron by an A Ekman, druggist, assayer,
mining engineer, and all around handy analysis guy.
Then , off to San Francisco to complete the rest of
it's human historical story.
Regards,, Bill Anderson in New Mexico
--- Michael Farmer <meteoritehunter_at_comcast.net>