Re-2: [meteorite-list] Denver / 'BL' meteorite

From: j.divelbiss_at_att.net <j.divelbiss_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:29:55 2004

List members,

For those who do not know what the BL meteorite discussion is about. You
would have to go back about two years ago when Dean went into one of his
"I can't wait for classification scenarios"..he offered list members
about 35 to 40 individuals of what he called/numbered BL-1, 2, 3, etc. with
pictures. Most were in the range of 100 to 300 grams. I think I bought BL-33
which was 198 g. The total of 7 kg mentioned earlier makes sense for 35
stones at an average of 200 grams each. I think he found a few more later in
other batches he received from NWA. I later bought a slice of NWA 1685 from
him that looks identical to my individual.

I'm not sure what the name BL stood for...Bernd, I believe said it was for
BLack, which makes sense for the nice dark crust...or maybe we could say it
was for its' blue/grey interior. We'll have to ask Dean...I think he is
traveling right now.

Now these pieces were snatched up in about a day because he offered them at
$1/g. I should have bought 2 or 3 like Bernd. They are really nice. I know
Dean regretted selling them at that price.

John