[meteorite-list] Serious question?

From: S. Singletary <jumper_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:29:57 2004

At 08:55 PM 9/18/2003 +1000, chris sharp wrote:
>The iron impactor disintegrated and spread iron all over the planet in
>a fallout cloud and created a layer of iron rich material on the
>surface.

My knee-jerk reaction to that is to think about the large iron meteorites
in our collections. They tend to be the most competent and coherent and
hence will hold together on impact. It doesn't seem likely to me that an
iron will disintegrate in the fashion you are talking about on impact. I'm
not sure of that, just my first reaction to the statement.

Steven

Steven Singletary
54-1224
Dept. Earth, Atmospheric and Planetary Sciences
M.I.T.
Cambridge, MA, 02139
Tel-617.253.6398
Fax-617.253.7102