[meteorite-list] Brahin stability

From: Zelimir Gabelica <Z.Gabelica_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:30:01 2004

Hello Martin, Matteo, John, Tim, all,

I also got a Brahin slice from Afanasjev 3 years ago, mint and not
lacquered. It started getting rust spots after a couple of weeks and was
almost completely destroyed after 6 months.=20
I realize that Serge now found a way to protect Brahins but I did not dare
to take another such lacquered one from him last June in Ensisheim.=20
The only Brahin I acquired since this disappointing experience is a slice
embedded forever in epoxy. This is an exception as I never do that for
meteorites but after 3 unfruitful attempts to get a stable Barahin (from 3
various sources), I opted for the epoxy solution.
The message is probably that every meteorite candidate to rusting could
(should) first be treated in some way (like, e.g. the NaOH-propanol method
decribed by Steve Schoner) and then protected (e.g. Afanasjev's "kind of
glue").=20
Still much work and many "trials & errors" in perspective, as every case
seems to be diferent...

Cheers,

Zelimir

At 10:32 30/09/03 +0200, you wrote:
>Hi Matteo,
>
>I had several slices of Brahin from Afanasjev, which were lacquered with a
>kind of glue. Kept in an airtight box with dry agent they were totally
>stable for 2 years, another slice I had more than 6 years without any
>problems and as far as I know, they are still all o.k.
>
>Cheers!
>(Imilac is the best!)
>
>----- Original Message -----=20

Prof. Zelimir Gabelica
Groupe S=E9curit=E9 et Ecologie Chimiques (GSEC) - ENSCMu
3, rue A. Werner
F-68093 MULHOUSE Cedex, FRANCE
Tel: +33 (0)3 89 33 68 94
FAX: +33 (0)3 89 33 68 15