[meteorite-list] Bernd on not feeding the ducks.

From: almitt <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:31:12 2004

Hi Bernd and all,

Great post Bernd and well worded. I want to add my two cents but hard to follow a great act like
yours!

The problem I see is non-meteorite related posts. These can be in the form of an attack or other
non-sense type postings. I have been guilty myself. My recommendation is if someone posts a
meteorite related post, then feel free to comment on it or add to it. If it is something you wish
to comment on because you disagree then contact the poster off the list. You can always post a
rebuttal on a post with the necessary sources for proof, backing up your comments.

If someone attacks you, directly or indirectly then don't play the game (don't feed the ducks).
Simply don't respond. Contact them off list. Usually the people doing the attacking are the ones
with something to hide. The list has so much to offer if everyone would follow Art's rules. As I
have said before the list is what we make it. It can be elevated into a highly attractive forum
for discussion of meteorites or we can take it to the hog waller of all lists. Posts responding
to other non-sense type post also take up a great deal of space. Don't feed the fire don't
respond to off topic posts.

In a movie one time about nuclear war, a computer that was capable of learning started out
simulating various attacks on the enemies of this country (war games). It tried all kinds of
scenarios trying to win the game of nuclear war. In each case the enemy would respond with a full
retaliatory strike killing most of the worlds population. If we as a group (from all over the
world) who love talking and learning about meteorites can't be civil to each other, then there
is no hope for the rest of the world. I hope you can show I am wrong but I really wonder
sometimes.

Oh yes in the end of the movie the computer said: strange game (nuclear war) the only winning
move is not to play. So it is true on the list, the only winning move is not to play into the
hands of the list trouble makers. All my best.

--AL Mitterling