[meteorite-list] Perry to Harvill Letter, Jan. 18, 1952

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:31:13 2004

------=_NextPart_001_0008_01C4206C.E67FABA0

Letter is from Stuart Perry to Richard Harvill, president of the Universi=
ty of Arizona reguarding a $2000.00 grant Perry made for Nininger through=
 the University.
(Stuart Perry's file copy)

The Arizona Inn
Tucson, Arizona
January 18, 1952

Dear Dr. Harvill;
This is to confirm the offer I made in conversation with you and Dr. H. H=
 Nininger yesterday, and to replace the hastily typed memorandum that I =
gave you at the time.
I propose to give the University two thousand dollars, to promote meteori=
tic research and collection by Dr. Nininger. The only condition attached =
to the gift is that it is to be used exclusively for that purpose, to be =
disbursed at such times and in such amounts as may be determined by agree=
ment between the University and Dr. Nininger.
I assume no obligation or liability except as stated, and I reserve no ri=
ght to any reimbursement, profit or reward of any kind; the purpose of th=
is gift being strictly and wholly to promote scientific research in that =
line, by an investigator whom I have long known and whom I consider to be=
 of outstanding competence and reliability.
By way of information I may add that I have made an intensive study of me=
teorites for more than twenty years, especially of iron meteorite of whic=
h I made more than 2,500 photogmicrographs. The results were embodied in =
a book, The Metallography of Meteoric Iron, published by the Smithsonian =
Institution. It was the first systematic treatment of that subject. In 19=
46 I research the Lawrence Smith gold medal by the National Academy of Sc=
ience for research in meteorites. I have myself made a large collection o=
f meteorites (300) most of which have been given to museums -- mostly the=
 National, Chicago, Harvard and the University of Michigan. =20
These matters are mention not from boastfulness, but that you may better =
understand my motive in making this gift. If it results in an extension o=
f knowledge of meteorites, I shall feel fully repaid.
I remain, with warm regards,
Sincerely,
Stuart H. Perry

------=_NextPart_001_0008_01C4206C.E67FABA0

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV><FONT size=3D2=
> <P>Letter is from Stuart Perry to Richard Harvill, president of the Uni=
versity of Arizona reguarding a $2000.00 grant Perry made for Nininger th=
rough the University.</P> <P>(Stuart Perry's file copy)</P> <P>&nbsp;</P>=
 <P>The Arizona Inn</P> <P>Tucson, Arizona</P> <P>January 18, 1952</P> <P=
>&nbsp;</P> <P>Dear Dr. Harvill;</P> <P>This is to confirm the offer I ma=
de in conversation with you and Dr. H. H. Nininger yesterday, and to repl=
ace the hastily typed memorandum that I gave you at the time.</P> <P>I pr=
opose to give the University two thousand dollars, to promote meteoritic =
research and collection by Dr. Nininger. The only condition attached to t=
he gift is that it is to be used exclusively for that purpose, to be disb=
ursed at such times and in such amounts as may be determined by agreement=
 between the University and Dr. Nininger.</P> <P>I assume no obligation o=
r liability except as stated, and I reserve no right to any reimbursement=
, profit or reward of any kind; the purpose of this gift being strictly a=
nd wholly to promote scientific research in that line, by an investigator=
 whom I have long known and whom I consider to be of outstanding competen=
ce and reliability.</P> <P>By way of information I may add that I have ma=
de an intensive study of meteorites for more than twenty years, especiall=
y of iron meteorite of which I made more than 2,500 photogmicrographs. Th=
e results were embodied in a book, The Metallography of Meteoric Iron, pu=
blished by the Smithsonian Institution. It was the first systematic treat=
ment of that subject. In 1946 I research the Lawrence Smith gold medal by=
 the National Academy of Science for research in meteorites. I have mysel=
f made a large collection of meteorites (300) most of which have been giv=
en to museums -- mostly the National, Chicago, Harvard and the University=
 of Michigan. </P> <P>These matters are mention not from boastfulness, bu=
t that you may better understand my motive in making this gift. If it res=
ults in an extension of knowledge of meteorites, I shall feel fully repai=
d.</P> <P>I remain, with warm regards,</P> <P>Sincerely,</P> <P>Stuart H.=
 Perry</P></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_001_0008_01C4206C.E67FABA0--