[meteorite-list] Amgala allegatons: fact or fancy?

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon Aug 9 02:26:09 2004

Dear John and List,

Let me make a quick clarification. 65% of what has been coming out of
Morocco lately being sold as Amgala is actually Zag and is being supplied by
a single source to other Moroccans who in turn have been selling them to
dealers. I was shipped 4.6 Kilos of Zag that was sold as Amgala and sent it
back to see it sold again as Amgala. How do I know it was Zag?

Some specimens have a dark litholgy
Oxidation was found surrounding metal deep inside cut pieces
There was pink calcite in some fusion crust cracks
The crust on Zag is sometimes frothy on trailing edges
None of the specimens had a brown sheen on the exterior
The metal distribution is somewhat different

We have exposed several problem or fake meteorites in the past like some
bogus Martian material, Chixalube and the nickel test kits that give false
positives. We were the first to publicly talk about Shirokovsky being
counterfeit. I will not bring this subject up again since a few dealers
have a problem with it. Next time I will mind my own business and let the
buyers sort it out for themselves.

Wishing everybody the best,

Adam Hupe
The Hupe Collection