[meteorite-list] Important classic Sikhote-Alin 184g

From: Dave Harris <entropydave_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Aug 17 09:04:42 2004

Hi fellow Listees,

I have a very nice 184g ex-Krinov, ex-Russian Academy of Sciences
Sikhote-Alin that I wish to sell. This specimen is being offered to the
Metlist first before I put it on Fleabay....

This SA has a tremendous patina, not seen on 'modern' SAs as it has not been
cleaned but just brushed at some point (possibly soon after recovery).
It bears the number labels "0093" on two linen typewritten strips and was
either recovered very soon after the fall in 1947, or was part of Krinov's
recovery expedition in 1967 (Krinov accompanied Kulik on the 1908 Tunguska
event in the 1920's). There are not many about!

It has a fantastic, almost pyramidal shape with very heavy regmaglypting on
the surface which serve as a fine testament to the rigours this meteorite
endured on its journey thru the atmosphere on that day in 1947.

It is, without doubt, one of the nicest SAs I have seen and ones from the R
A.S are very very rarely offered for sale.

As I cannot upload to my webspace (thank you ntl:) Mark Ford has very kindly
lent me a bit of webspace to show you the pics...

http://www.freewebs.com/fordmeteorites/sikhote.htm

Now, I am struggling to decide on the price as there is nothing comparable
that I have seen for sale. Regular SAs go for around a buck or two a gram..
so I reckon that I would like offers in excess of $320 for this piece, but,
(and here comes the disclaimer!), if I don't get any decent offers over this
amount (which is not impossible as I find it real difficult to price up)
then I may just take my chances and stick it on eBay - but personally would
rather it went to a collector on the list rather than some kid with a credit
card. I need to reserve my right to not sell it if I can't get a price for
it.

Shipping will be around $10 for 'signed-for' delivery - probably the safest
and cheapest way out of the UK!

I would like payment via Paypal if possible and ASAP too (unless you are UK
based, of course in which a cheque will be fine!)

very best

dave

IMCA #0092