[meteorite-list] Bogande [L] - new old fall from Burkina Faso ????

From: Meteoryt.net <marcin_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed Dec 1 18:21:15 2004

Hello
Becouse Martin make a fallstart and send info too early I want write a few
words about this possible new fall.

Bogande village, around 120km from Bilanga. Fall from 03.2003, TKW=17kg
I waiting for confirmation if its really from 2003 year, becouse its strange
why I not hear about this before. Other problem is that this looks too fresh
to be found after 1.5year. This specimens must be recovered soon after fall.
Unfortunatelly my friend do not speak in english verry good so this can take
some time :)

On monday I received with next Gao shipment, two specimen of possible new
fall. Specimens looks verry fresh but with some rust around iron grains.

Crust is black with places where is more glossy than in other. That mix
glossy Bensour + mat Amgala. Specimens are verry unequal so they for sure
come from exploded bolide that make strew field. They are sumilar to some
Thuathe meteorites in shape. Ofcourse I have only 2 specimens so there for
sure will be many different shapes, like in Thuathe fall.

I cut only one specimen.
Inside its white chondrite L5 or L4 becouse there is some good visible
chondrules. But most interesting thing what surprize me was that big black
inclusion looks like I.M.B. fragment. Center of this black inclusion I have
on 2mm thin full slice so this will come for Thin Section on monday and then
I can tell something more precise about what type of chondrite it is.

Something similar (black inclusions) can be found on another new fall from
Burkina named Lampiayrie (provinsional), but for sure this 2 meteorites are
verry different and cant be paired. About this another fall maybe Mike have
any new informations, becouse he classify this material.

Thats all what I know now.
Some nice photos You can see here.
http://www.polandmet.com/_bogande.htm

http://www.Meteoryt.net marcin_at_meteoryt.net