[meteorite-list] NPA 01-22-1788 Old Meteor News Report

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Dec 5 09:18:05 2004

Paper: The Times
City: London, Middlesex, England, United Kingdom
Date: Tuesday, January 22, 1788
Page: 3 (of 4)

     In addition to the account we lately gave of the fiery meteor, feen
from different parts of the kingdom in its progrefs n rthward, and firft
deferibed by a Gentleman at Chefter; we have further to remark, that is was
alfo feen at Kirkby-Lonfdale, in Weftmoreland, where, by the affiftance of a
theodolite, the following circumftances were afcertained: Its direction was
from north-weft to the north eaft nearly. At tits firft appearance, its
elevation was nearly 30 deg. and its mangetical bearing 1 deg. weft of
fouth; its colour was that of a bright coal fire, its apparent magnitude
fomewhat lefs than the full moon. If feemed to leave a fiery tail or ftream
behind it.

(end)

Like the Weston newspaper article posted by me (a while ago)....this one has
f's in place where we would now have s's.

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
www.meteoritearticles.com
www.kansasmeteoritesociety.com