[meteorite-list] "f" instead of "s" - Martin was a good boy

From: Martin Altmann <Altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Dec 5 11:44:43 2004

Hi Mark, Bernd, Bernhard, list,

It's a little bit boring for most listees perhaps and certainly OT,
but when I started to write, it got longer and longer, so I send it.....

The "f" instead of the "s" was as far as I know in use since the Carolingian
Minuscule, the standard font in Europe from the 9th to the end of the 12th
century.
The following scripts ( I don't know the correct use of "font" and
"scripts", if one denominates only printed letters or not, but I think you
understand)
thus the following fonts, the "Gothic" in its variations "Gothic minuscule",
"gothic cursive", "bastarda", ect. kept this "f".
>From the gothic fonts Gutenberg chose the "Textura", the most luxurios font
used mainly in clerical scripts, as base for his block letters alphabet.
>From the more common and not so complicate to paint gothic font in the
manuscripts called "Bastarda", used f.e. in France in the 15th century as
official font, there was developped between 1475 and 1477 in France and in
Germany around 1485 another font for printing, the socalled "Fraktur", in
engl. called "Gothic Print", also known as German font, which was in use in
many variations mainly Northern the Alpes and in Westeurope. In Germany
until short after WWII.

The other great font family is that one where "s" is written or printed as
"s":
The so called "Antiqua" (the "OLD" script) fonts.
They were always concurring with the gothic fonts.
The Antiqua was developped in the Italian Rennaissance based on the
"Humanistica Formata", a font with small letters, invented by Coluccio
Salutati (1331-1406) and Poggio Bracciolini (1380-1459) in combination with
the "Capitalis Quadrata", that Roman large letters, which you know from old
roman buildings, antique roman coins ect.
Thus it was first the script of the humanistic scholars, but became popular
for all languagues based on Latin, like French, Spanish, Italian ect.
Soon several Antiquae were develloped for printing, most remarkable the
"Jenson-Antiqua", created by Nicolas Jenson in 1470 in Venice, which is
commonly called "Rennaissance-Antiqua".
In Germany in Ulm there were the largest printing plant for the Antiqua in
Europe before 1500.

In France the Rennaissance-Antiqua was modified from 1530 on by Claude
Garamond. His Antiqua was carried to all Europe in 1620 bei Jean Jannon as
"Garamond" and which is until now the refrence and prototype for all Antiqua
fonts.
Important for the 19th century Antiquae is the Antiqua from Bodoni (ca. 1770
built).

And until around 1970 most used was the Antiqua, called "Sans Serif" (in
German "Grotesk"), which was first established in 1860 by Caslon & Co. LTD.
in London.

That was it.

The different mixtures, why the "f" is also found from time to time in
Antiqua print - there are so many alphabets developped for printing, some
very quaint - for instance the American typographe Morris Fuller Benton
invented in 1907 a Fraktur called "Lincoln Gothic" - I can't survey.

Long mail, short sense:
Important for you Mark is,
that in your transcriptions, you're allowed to type an "s", where is
standing an "f" and where should be an "s".

Cheeers!
Martin