[meteorite-list] Mystery object in photo

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Dec 7 18:30:14 2004

> This series of photos made the rounds a few weeks ago -- it definitely
> is not a meteorite fall. Simplest reason: it doesn't fall vertically.

Peekskill and Nakhla didn't fall straight down either. Peekskill travelled
an additional 50 km AFTER ablation had ended. Nakhla was observed to
hit the ground 30 degrees from the horizontal.

Nevertheless, I don't think it is a meteorite. Probably just a bug
that flew in front of the camera. That would explain the bluriness
in the trail. And the 'explosion' would be an overexposure of the bug
from the camera flash.

Ron Baalke