[meteorite-list] Mystery object in photo

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue Dec 7 19:48:35 2004

The angle observed for the fireball trajectory is largely unrelated to the
angle the meteorite will strike the ground. It is perfectly possible for the
impact angle of a meteorite to be in the opposite direction of the entry
angle, since the final angle is determined primarily by wind.

The Peekskill fall is not difficult to model. The recovered piece was
falling nearly vertically at the end. It traveled 50 km after the end of
ablation because at that point its path was nearly horizontal, and it was
still at about 3 km/s. But that forward velocity was quickly lost to
atmospheric drag.

I don't know the details of the Nakhla fall, but I would be suspicious of
witness reports giving 30 degrees from the horizontal. There is really no
mechanism to explain how any ballistic object that has slowed to a few km/s
while still 30 km or more high could have significant horizontal velocity
when it reached the ground (unless it were falling in a hurricane!)

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com