[meteorite-list] "A curious find" (related to Australian incident on Dec. 6th)

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Dec 9 01:10:45 2004

http://taree.yourguide.com.au/detail.asp?class=news&subclass=local&category=general%20news&story_id=356075&y=2004&m=12

A curious find
Wednesday, 8 December 2004

"I THINK I might have a few pieces of the meteorite."

An excited Dianne Slaven contacted the Times yesterday morning, after she and her sons collected
some curiosities in their Wingham yard.

"I remembered kicking this black rock off the path. It wasn't until I went to squash last night that
I heard people talking about what had happened.

"When I went home I again found the rock, and the kids found two more on the lawn."

The fragments have all the telltale signs of coming from anywhere but local.

They are misshapen, and leave sooty marks on your hands.

The largest measures about 10cms, the smallest is about 5cm.

They weren't embedded in the ground, as one would expect if they had hurtled from the sky after
Monday morning's meteor 'explosion' over the Manning.

Dianne and her sons admit to sleeping through the commotion which woke most Manning residents
shortly after 4.15am.

Yesterday, the Times had a local amateur astronomer, Peter Langdown, check the pieces the family
collected.

Peter told Dianne he believed the pieces could possibly be from a meteor and has recommended she get
in touch with the Sydney Observatory, which will conduct tests to determine their origin.

Even if they can't be authenticated, young Mitchell (10), Reece (eight) and Jai (five) will
certainly have something interesting to take to 'show and tell' at Wingham Public School.