AW: [meteorite-list] Meteorite finds per state?

From: Jörn Koblitz <koblitz_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri Dec 10 09:04:11 2004

Dear Darren,

With only 6 reported meteorites for South Carolina (SC), the number is comparably low:

For comparison:

North Carolina - size 53,821 sq miles / 30 meteorites = 1 meteorite per 1794 sq miles
Georgia - size 59,441 sq miles / 23 meteorites = 1 meteorite per 2584 sq miles
New Mexico - size 121,598 sq miles / 212 meteorites = 1 meteorite per 574 sq miles !

South Carolna - size 32,007 sq miles / 6 meteorites = 1 meteorite per 5334 sq miles

When we just look at observed falls, the situation is a bit different:

North Carolina - size 53,821 sq miles / 9 meteorites = 1 meteorite per 5980 sq miles
Georgia - size 59,441 sq miles / 4 meteorites = 1 meteorite per 14,860 sq miles
New Mexico - size 121,598 sq miles / 5 meteorites = 1 meteorite per 24,320 sq miles

South Carolna - size 32,007 sq miles / 2 meteorites = 1 meteorite per 16,004 sq miles

So, the number of observed falls is quite comparable to Georgia and even New Mexico, but for North Carolina it is much higher. I guess, it is because of higher population (8.3 Mio for NC compared to 4.1 Mio for SC). It also depend on the landform (e.g. forest vs. agricultural area) differences.

Best regards,
J?rn / MetBase