[meteorite-list] NPA 08-17-1857 Baghdad Surprize Meteor Shower and Meteor Report

From: MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun Dec 12 11:56:10 2004

Paper: Adams Sentinel
City: Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
Date: Monday, August 17, 1857
Page: 2 (of 4)

     Extraordinary Meteor. - Letters from Baghdad announce an extraordinary
fall of rain on the 14th at that place, which, from its bloody hue, gave the
surrounding country the appearance of a battle-field. The meteor seen at
Malta on the 14th of June was likewise observed on the day throughout Syria
and Palestine; and letters from Terbixond, Samsoun, Sinope, Constantinople
and Smyrna, report a heavy fall of rain, and tempestuous weather on that
day, to the great alarm of the inhabitants, who had for some weeks been
anxiously looking out for the comet crash. The evening of the 13th of June
was the remarkable meteor and whirlwind in New York.

(end)

This is somewhat funny as it appears the locals were waiting for a comet to
come, then were startled to a "great alarm" when a meteor shower happened.
1857 seems pretty late not to know the connection between comets and meteor
showers to me.

That's all for today. I collect maybe five times what I post on here or on
my website, but try to post the one's that might have the most general
interest.

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
Wichita, Kansas